tishke

tishke

Midnight's Warrior
Donna Grant
Angels' Flight (Angels' Pawn #0.5, Angels' Judgment #1.5, Angel's Wolf #4.5, Angels' Dance #4.75)
Nalini Singh
Unveiled - Courtney Milan My first read from this author, and will definitely not be my last!After reading the Publisher Weekly review of "Unveiled," I put this book at the bottom of my TBR pile since I have an obsession with historical accuracy. A friend recommended this book to me and since I already had it, I decided to give it a try.Before I actually started reading the book, I went back and found the critic review.This is a copy of the original review of the book by PW:[quote]Historical goofs mar this otherwise compelling Victorian romance… While the love story is genuinely satisfying and Margaret’s dilemma movingly portrayed, Milan (Proof by Seduction) leaves Ash’s complex relationship with his brothers unresolved–perhaps to be explored further in sequels–and makes the conflict dependent on the false premise that legitimized bastards could inherit, fatally marring an otherwise promising novel. (Feb.)[/quote]I took it upon myself to check and I just wanted to share with other readers the information I found on this subject.Sir William Blackstone, a member of the English Parliament that later declined an invitation to become England's Solicitor-General in his Commentaries on the Laws of England (1765) said that a bastard "cannot be heir to anyone, neither can he have heirs" and could be legitimized only by "act of Parliament". Sir Blackstone Commentaries were shipped to America and Canada, and subsequent British colonies such as Australia and New Zealand, where it shaped the law of those states.So, I find it plausible that legitimization of bastards could actually happen during the time period by act of parliament. I applaud Ms. Milan for weaving her plot around this information and bringing this matter to our attention.After getting that out of the way, I sat down and devoured this great book.This novel revolves around relationships and the author takes us on a journey of human connections as we read about the ties with parents, siblings, friends and ex-fiance and how real they were when facing controversy. It is about self-awakening while examining unwavering loyalty.In short, the book really surprised me, the mannerisms and figures of speech helped to experience an accurate picture of this particular time in history. I understand that Mark's story "Unclaimed" is next, and I can't wait to shed light to some of my unanswered questions.